Golkar may hold Munaslub in December
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
The Golkar Party central executive board plans to hold a plenary meeting next week to schedule an extraordinary congress (Munaslub) in December, as it rushes to appoint a new chairman to replace Setya Novanto, who is a graft suspect.
The move is to respond to the demand of the party's regional executive board (DPD I) from 31 provinces to hold such a congress, Golkar’s acting chairman, Idrus Marham, has said.
"Next week, we will have a plenary meeting. The agenda is to schedule a congress to be held in December," Idrus said on Wednesday.
The DPD I, which holds the right to recommend when and whether to hold a congress, has proposed holding a Munaslub before Dec. 16 to replace Setya to prevent his alleged role in the massive e-ID graft case from further damaging the party's image.
"We [the central executive board and the DPD I] are on the same page. Only a technical issue [ continues to hinder the plan]; trust me," Idrus added.
Golkar previously decided to wait for Setya's ongoing pretrial motion to reach an outcome before holding a congress, but the DPD I refused to wait.
"If there is no decision [from the central executive board] next Monday, we'll ask them again," West Java's DPD I chairman, Dedi Mulyadi, said.
Idrus has stated his intention to run in the chairmanship race, along with Industry Minister Airlangga Hartarto, a front-runner who has secured support from many DPD I leaders and Golkar wing organizations. (ipa)
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Canadian killed, American wounded in Mexico shooting
- Yazidi 'ex-sex slave' trapped both in Iraq and in German exile
- Pilgrims descend on Mecca for 'smart haj'
- Chinese plane slides off Manila airport runway in heavy rain
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world