Bekasi fails to get grant from Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
The Bekasi administration in the eastern part of greater Jakarta, has failed to get a financial grant from the capital for next year, a contrast to this year, when the West Java city got Rp 250 billion (US$1.75 million).
This year's grant, which was disbursed under the leadership of Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama, was used to fund bridge construction, which would support the operations of Bantar Gebang trash disposal site.
Bekasi Mayor Rahmat Effendi said that during a meeting with the Jakarta Deputy Governor, he proposed nearly Rp 1 trillion in funds for programs to mitigate floods and traffic jams in the city, which were deeply connected to Jakarta, and expected to get at least Rp 350 billion, tempo.co reported.
"We agree to establish a small team for now and the grant was postponed," the mayor said on Tuesday. "Maybe we'll get it later next year, in the [Jakarta] budget revision," he added.
Bekasi, however, would still receive Rp 202 billion from Jakarta, which would be used as compensation for families negatively affected by the Bantar Gebang trash disposal site, where Jakarta's trash is disposed.
Rahmat said Jakarta still owed money to develop health and education infrastructure.
Bekasi Public Works and Spatial Planning Agency head Tri Adhianto said the disagreement between the two administrations would affect ongoing infrastructure projects connecting the two areas such as the construction of Pangeran Jayabaru road in North Bekasi. (fac)
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince behind Khashoggi murder: report
- Minister Wiranto's grandson drowns in garden pond
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky