Court declares Setya's pretrial void, finally
The Jakarta Post
The sole judge presiding over former House of Representatives speaker Setya Novanto's pretrial motion, Kusno, decided on Thursday at the South Jakarta District Court that the motion was invalid.
"I declare the pretrial motion as void and demand the plaintiff pay the pretrial costs. Jakarta, Dec. 14. Signed by the sole judge, myself, Kusno," he said before he finally struck his gavel.
Corruption Eradication Commission's (KPK) legal bureau member, Efi Laila Kholis, was relieved, saying it was obvious from the very beginning that the pretrial motion against the anti-graft body’s decision to name Setya a suspect, would fail.
"The Corruption Court set the date of the first trial on the graft case soon after the pretrial motion was filed to the court on Wednesday last week. The judge was kind enough to offer Setya's lawyers the option to retract their motion during the pretrial hearings," she told the press.
Setya's attorney Nana Suryana said he accepted and respected the judge's ruling.
The motion was the second presided over by the court, after it approved the first motion in September. (vla)
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Child beggar coordinators arrested in Depok
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018