Brazilian president cancels visit to Indonesia over health issues
The Jakarta Post
Brazilian President Michel Temer has postponed his visit to Indonesia and other Southeast Asian countries to enable him to rest after having minor surgery.
The 77-year-old president underwent surgery last Wednesday to treat a urethral obstruction at the Sirio-Libanes Hospital in Sao Paolo, Brazil, AFP reported. Temer has been discharged from the hospital but reportedly needs time to recuperate.
“President Temer has postponed his visit to Southeast Asia due to health issues that prevent him from taking long trips,” an envoy at the Brazilian Embassy told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
He also underwent surgery two months ago for an enlarged prostate at the same hospital, while in November he had angioplasty on three blocked arteries.
Temer was scheduled to meet with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Jan.12 as a part of his visit to Southeast Asian countries, including Singapore, Timor Leste and Vietnam from Jan.5 to 13.
Brazilian Ambassador to Indonesia Rubem AC Barbossa said last week that Temer had planned to meet Jokowi to talk about trade and other things. The diplomatic envoy said the visit was important to deepen the relationship between Indonesia and Brazil.
Due to the cancellation, the Indonesia-Brazil business forum previously scheduled for Jan.12 will be postponed.
The embassy said a new date for a visit would be proposed as soon as possible. “The Brazilian Embassy will keep the Foreign Ministry updated on the issue,” it said. (ebf)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Instant Noodle Longform