Graft defendant Andi Narogong gets eight years in prison
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Corruption Court’s sentenced on Thursday businessman Andi Agustinus, also known as Andi Narogong, to eight years in prison for graft.
He was also ordered to pay a Rp 1 billion (US$74,759) fine or serve an additional six months in prison.
Presiding judge Jhon Halasan Butarbutar said Andi was proven to have played a major role in the high-profile e-ID graft case, which caused Rp 2.3 trillion in state losses.
“The court also orders the defendant to return $2.5 million and Rp 1.18 billion to the state no later than one month after the verdict is read,” he said. Andi will serve an additional two years in prison if he fails to return the money.
Surprisingly, Andi said he accepted the ruling.
“I accept it, Your Honor.”
Andi's lawyer, Samsul Bahri, said he respected whatever decision his client made.
"I believe my client has considered everything.”
Even though the sentence was in line with their demand, Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) prosecutors said they would consider whether to appeal the ruling.
According to the verdict, Andi rigged the deliberation of the e-ID procurement project at the House of Representatives. Andi is believed to have connections with several other people who persuaded graft suspect and then House speaker Setya Novanto to help the former get House approval for a Rp 5.9 trillion budget for the e-ID project between 2010 and 2013. (vla/ebf)
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Indonesia must improve its e-government