Bali Nine member could be free next year: Official
Ni Komang Erviani
The Jakarta Post
After spending years behind bars, Renae Lawrence, an Australian woman and member of the Bali Nine drug trafficking syndicate, could be free soon, a Bangli prison official said.
“She [Lawrence] could be free by May next year,” Bangli prison warden Diding Alpian confirmed on Monday.
The drug convict received a two-month Christmas remission.
“For her crime, the court not only imposed Lawrence with a prison sentence but also ordered her to pay Rp 1 billion (US$73,000) in fines. “If she cannot pay the fine, she must serve an additional six months in prison; so, she may be freed in November next year,” said Diding.
Lawrence was among four prisoners at Bangli prison granted Christmas remission this year. “We gave remission to prisoners who have been well behaved,” said Diding.
Lawrence was among nine Australians arrested for attempting to smuggle 8.3 kilograms of heroin out of Indonesia in April 2005.
She was the only woman in the group and received the lightest sentence.
Two syndicate members, Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan, were sentenced to death and executed on Nusakambangan prison island.
Meanwhile, other members are serving life sentences in separate prisons in Bali and East Java. (ebf)
A joyful day: Bangli prison warden Diding Alpian (center) takes a picture with prison officials and several inmates, including Australian citizen Renae Lawrence, a Bali Nine drug syndicate member, after he handed over Christmas remissions in an event on Dec.25. (Courtesy of the Bangli prison/File)
- Bekasi wants roads free of 'Pak Ogah'
- Police issue second summons for Sandiaga
- Newly opened Pancoran overpass lacks worthiness certificate
- FBI warned Trump's son in-law on Murdoch ex-wife: report
- Anies orders transportation agency, police to ticket traffic violators
- Immigration office hunts two foreigners at protest in Batam
- Engineers union to analyze cause of IDX collapsed floor
- Indonesia's foreign debt stands at $347.3b, 34% of GDP
- Couple forced to marry after caught being alone at fruit farm
- IDX Tower 2 never been renovated: Management