Jakartans leave town, vacationers from satellite cities, Java throng the capital
The Jakarta Post
As Jakartans head out of the capital for the extended Christmas and New Year break, vacationers from its surrounding areas and as far as Central and West Java have packed the National Monument (Monas) in Central Jakarta this past week.
More than 358,000 visitors flocked to the area between Saturday and Tuesday afternoon, according to Monas’s management team.
Kafi Widayat, 34, a resident of Bekasi, said he and his family visited Monas because it was an affordable vacation destination.
“For me Monas is very neat, clean and very well-managed, so I just want to spend my time here with my daughter and family members,” Kafi said on Tuesday.
Peppy, 41, also resident of Bekasi, came to Monas with her son and nephew from Garut, West Java. She wanted to show her nephew the Jakarta icon because it was his first trip to the capital.
“We are currently waiting for our turn to get to the top of the monument, as we want to see Jakarta from the peak of Monas,” said Peppy.
Endrati Fariani, head of Monas’s public service department, said the number of visitors to Monas had been increasing since Saturday.
“Our peak time was last Sunday, when we had 142,000 people visiting Monas. In total, we have welcomed 358,399 visitors since Saturday,” Endrati said on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, some 234,000 vehicles left Jakarta between Thursday and Saturday, according to State-owned toll road operator Jasa Marga. (roi)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- IMF chief postpones Middle East trip with Saudi stop
- For the sake of integrity
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Fan Bingbing spotted for first time in months, outside Beijing airport
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- A year of Anies Baswedan
- Indonesia warns against Australia’s possible embassy move to Jerusalem