New Year’s Eve celebrations to be concentrated in six spots
Ivany Atina Arbi
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta revelers will have several alternatives for places to celebrate New Year’s Eve as the city administration has prepared six locations as centers for celebrations to ring in 2018.
The six locations are the National Monument (Monas) compound in Central Jakarta, Jl. Danau Sunter Selatan in North Jakarta, the West Jakarta Mayor’s office, Setu Babakan in South Jakarta, Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (TMII) cultural park in East Jakarta and Pramuka Island in the Thousand Islands regency.
The six locations will be equipped with stages for musical and dance performances, which are going to start at around 7 p.m. on Dec. 31. A main stage at the Monas compound, for instance, will be enlivened by a performance by the so-called king of dangdut Rhoma Irama.
Unlike previous New Years’ Eve celebrations, the upcoming celebrations will witness a mass wedding of 534 couples, which is the idea of Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan to facilitate the wedding of lower- and middle-income residents.
“The mass wedding will be attended by the governor,” city assistant secretary for governance Bambang Sugiyono said on Friday. The ceremony will be held at the park-and-ride Thamrin 10, Central Jakarta, at 8 p.m. on Dec. 31.
- EDITORIAL: Politics in Pertamina shakeup
- Danareksa eyes Rp 500 billion AUM from new ETF product
- Education ministry cancels anti-LGBT event
- Man dies of exhaustion on South Jakarta road
- Chiang Mai woman’s tattoo is ‘practical magic’
- Child beggar coordinators arrested in Depok
- Don't panic, minister says as rupiah weakens
- Big secrets, bumper box-office for 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- Setya Novanto e-ID graft case timeline
- Maria Simorangkir crowned Indonesian Idol 2018