Financial authority to issue currency hedging regulation
The Jakarta Post
The Financial Services Authority (OJK) plans to issue a regulation on currency hedging to help investors protect their investments in the stock market against the possible decline of the rupiah.
“The regulation is expected to minimize the currency risks for foreign investors with more competitive pricing,” said OJK Chairman Wimboh Santoso on Tuesday.
He hoped the currency hedging regulation, which was now under preparation, could be implemented within the next few months.
Wimboh said with the currency hedging facilities, investment in the Indonesian stock market would be more attractive to foreign investors because their investment would be protected from a possible drop in the currency’s value against foreign currencies.
The Indonesian Stock Exchange was among the best performers in Asia last week. The Stock Exchange Composite Index hit a record high at 6,355 at the close of last year’s trading. The index rose by 20 percent from 5,296 at the close of trading in 2016.
The rupiah was also relatively stable during 2017. It ended the year at Rp 13,520 against the US dollar, a slight decline from Rp 13,400 in early January.
Wimboh said with a more conducive investment climate, the stock market would play a more important role in providing funds for business activities. The funds raised from Indonesia’s capital market reached a total of Rp 257.02 trillion in 2017, exceeding the OJK’s target of Rp 217.02 trillion. (fny/bbn)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Teen arrested for alleged rape of young earthquake survivor
- Indonesian religious minister denounces LGBT, but calls for people’s empathy
- Rupiah projected at Rp 15,000 per US dollar in 2019 state budget
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case