Mother and son killed by train in Bekasi
The Jakarta Post
A mother, identified as Partini, 46, and her 10-year-old son died instantly when they were hit by a commuter train on a railway crossing in Duren Jaya, East Bekasi, West Java, on Wednesday.
Their bodies were taken to Bekasi General Hospital.
Bekasi Police spokesperson Comr. Erna Ruswing Andari said the victims, who were on a motorcycle, were struck by a Jakarta-bound train on a crossing to which the boom gate had been lowered.
"The bodies and motorcycle were dragged 200 meters by the train. They died at the scene," Erna said as quoted by tribunnews.com.
Erna said bystanders and an officer on duty had failed to prevent the accident because it happened so fast.
Erna said train services had been disrupted because the motorcycle was stuck under the train.
Bekasi Police recorded 418 traffic accidents in 2017, a decrease from 517 in the previous year.
Forty-six people died in the 2017 accidents, down from 71 in 2016. (fac)
- Australian Open: Tantrums, trolls and temperature tumbles
- Govt to facilitate salt imports
- Government to slash subsidy for railway pioneer routes
- Prime Mum-ister: New Zealand PM says she's having a baby
- Chris Hemsworth is done with being Thor ‘contractually’ after fourth movie
- James, Curry will captain teams in new-look All-Star Game
- Five hidden WhatsApp features to optimize usage
- Post-reform ethnic Chinese paintings
- House to set up team to monitor rice import policy
- Depok community wants to turn Rumah Cimanggis into museum