KPK operations net officials for alleged corruption
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) arrested several public officials for alleged corruption during a string of operations in South Kalimantan and East Java, its head confirmed.
“There have been operations in Hulu Sungai Tengah regency in South Kalimantan and in Surabaya, East Java,” KPK chairman Agus Rahardjo told journalists on Thursday.
He refused to disclose details about the arrests and added that more information would be revealed at a press conference later this afternoon.
According to reports, one of the officials KPK investigators arrested is a regional head.
This is the KPK's first successful operation of 2018 to arrest people suspected of committing graft and being involved in bribery.
Last year, the antigraft body conducted 19 operations and arrested 72 suspects, including eight regional heads. In November, the graft busters arrested three officials and a regional councillor in Jambi on allegations of bribery pertaining to the 2018 provincial budget deliberation. (ebf)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend