Police must maintain neutrality in 2018 regional elections: Bawaslu
The Jakarta Post
The Elections Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu) and the National Police met on Tuesday to discuss the neutrality of several active police officers who are set to participate in the 2018 regional elections.
“I think the police chief [Gen.Tito Karnavian] has been clear that those participating in the elections must resign [from the police force],” said Bawaslu chief Abhan as quoted by kompas.com on Tuesday.
He added that the officers should hand in their resignation after declaring their candidacy.
The four police officers running for regional heads in the upcoming elections are Insp. Gen. Safaruddin in East Kalimantan, Insp. Gen. Anton Charliyan in West Java, Insp. Gen. Murad Ismail in Maluku, and Adj.Sr.Comr. Marselis Sarimin in East Manggarai.
Last week, Tito transferred 113 personnel, including the four officers, to new posts.
Safaruddin has been moved from his post as East Kalimantan Police chief to become a high-ranking officer at the National Police’s Security Intelligence Agency (Baintelkam).
Anton was transferred from his post as deputy chief of the National Police’s education and training division to a new position as a senior policy analyst in the National Police Staff and Command School.
Murad, who was commander of the National Police Mobile Brigade (Brimob) is now a Brimob senior policy analyst.
Meanwhile, Marselis was transferred from his position as Manggarai Police chief to a new post as a mid-ranking officer of the East Nusa Tenggara Police. (ami/ebf)
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Women accuse famous Brazil spiritual 'healer' of sex abuse
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s
- Why do we feel sleepy after eating a meal?