Baby girl kidnapped in Makassar found
The Jakarta Post
A joint team comprising personnel of the criminal investigation departments of the Makassar Police and the South Sulawesi Police have arrested four suspected kidnappers of Hanum, a 1.5-year old baby girl, in Makassar.
The suspects identified only as Yus, Riz, Anw and Ay, kidnapped the toddler at noon on Tuesday.
The Makassar Police’s criminal investigation department director Adj.Comr. Anwar Hasan said that based on information given by the suspects during interrogations, the kidnapping was initiated by Yus in revenge against Hanum’s parents.
“Yus said he was bothered by the victim’s parents, whom he viewed as arrogant,” Anwar told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
(Read also: Baby girl reportedly kidnapped in Makassar)
Yus is a relative of Hanum’s parents. He asked his three friends to help kidnap Hanum. The toddler was kept for 10 hours at the house of Ay, one of the suspects.
The baby girl was found wandering alone by local residents on Jl. Telkomas, Tamalanrea, Makassar, at 9:30 p.m. local time on Tuesday.
Anwar said the suspects intentionally left the toddler on a street at the Telkomas housing complex. “Fortunately, a housewife found her and handed her over to Tamanlanrea Police office,” he said.
Mery, the housewife who found Hanum, changed the baby’s clothes and gave her milk. The toddler was calm when she was with Mery, the police said.
Hanum has been returned safely to her parents. The four suspects were charged with violating Law No. 35/2004 on child protection with a minimum sentence of three years in prison. (ami/ebf)
- Thousands sign petition against sentence for Malaysian who abused maid
- Bottled water meets quality standards: BPOM
- Saudi Arabia beheads Indonesian worker despite Jokowi’s pleas for clemency
- Four-meter snake found in West Jakarta restaurant
- US, Japan assist South Korea on historic summits with North Korea
- Anies issues regulation simplifying process of shutting down entertainment spots
- No condoms or cigarettes sold at Muslim convenience store in Depok
- Residents clash with police personnel in land execution in C. Sulawesi
- Singapore Airlines warns customers against air tickets scam
- Earthquake strikes Banten, tremors felt in Jakarta