Motorcycle ban signs taken down
The Jakarta Post
The Transportation Agency began taking down signs banning motorcycles along Jl. MH Thamrin and Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat on Tuesday afternoon, following a Supreme Court ruling in favor of a petition from motorcyclists on lifting the ban.
The head of the Jakarta Transportation Agency, Andri Yansyah, confirmed on Wednesday that his agency would take down the signs.
“We will also take down the signs between Bundaran HI [Hotel Indonesia traffic circle] and Bundaran Senayan. We will do that gradually,” he said.
The Jakarta administration, under former governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat, had planned to expand the ban from Bundaran HI to Bundaran Senayan in South Jakarta, however the regulation was later revoked following public protests.
Andi said he would first meet with the Jakarta Police’ traffic division and the Bina Marga Road Agency to determine whether motorcyclists should be permitted to drive along the thoroughfares immediately after the signs were dismantled.
Traffic division chief Sr. Comr. Halim Pagarra told The Jakarta Post that his division would follow the policy issued by the Transportation Agency.
“I haven’t heard from the agency’s head. However, if they have already taken down the signs the police will cooperate accordingly,” he said.
Earlier on Wednesday, Halim said that besides helping to decrease traffic congestion the motorcycle ban had also helped reduce pollution. (gis)
- Engineers union to analyze cause of IDX collapsed floor
- Indonesia's foreign debt stands at $347.3b, 34% of GDP
- Couple forced to marry after caught being alone at fruit farm
- IDX Tower 2 never been renovated: Management
- Voldemort film now available for free on YouTube
- Rappler Indonesia to soldier on despite license revocation
- Mother allegedly kills her baby at restaurant
- Police issue second summons for Sandiaga
- Indonesia, Turkey team up to develop military drones
- Anies orders transportation agency, police to ticket traffic violators