NTB Police foils attempts to smuggle Rp 396m worth of lobster seeds
The Jakarta Post
Personnel of the West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) Police have arrested seven people suspected to have attempted to smuggle 7,992 lobster seeds worth of Rp 396 million (US$27,720) from Central Lombok to Bali.
NTB Police spokesperson Adj.Sr.Comr. Tribudi Pangastuti said the smuggling attempts were thwarted on Tuesday in two different locations.
“The NTB Police confiscated 1,900 lobster seeds in the first location and 6,022 seeds were seized in the second location. We collected a total of 7,922 seeds,” Tribudi told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
He said the first smuggling attempt was uncovered at 4:30 p.m. local time on Tuesday on Jl. Bypass, Lombok International Airport. The NTB Police personnel arrested four suspects driving an Ertiga carrying 1,900 lobster seeds in 19 plastic bags.
The police later arrested three suspects on Jl. TGH Faisal, Sandubuya district, Mataram, at 7 p.m. The suspects were traveling in a Datsun Go Panca, carrying 6,022 lobster seeds in 32 plastic bags.
“We suspected the lobster seeds would be smuggled to Bali using a shipping service. We are currently questioning the seven suspects,” Tribudi said.
The NTB Quarantine Agency will release the lobster seeds to their natural habitat. The suspects were charged with violating Law No. 45/2009 on fisheries and Law No. 16/1992 on animal, fish and plant quarantine, which carry a maximum sentence of six years in prison and a Rp 1.5 billion fine. (ami/ebf)
- Bekasi wants roads free of 'Pak Ogah'
- Anies orders transportation agency, police to ticket traffic violators
- FBI warned Trump's son in-law on Murdoch ex-wife: report
- Police issue second summons for Sandiaga
- Newly opened Pancoran overpass lacks worthiness certificate
- Immigration office hunts two foreigners at protest in Batam
- Engineers union to analyze cause of IDX collapsed floor
- Indonesia's foreign debt stands at $347.3b, 34% of GDP
- Voldemort film now available for free on YouTube
- Couple forced to marry after caught being alone at fruit farm