Compromise reached on death penalty
The Jakarta Post
Capital punishment has been designated an “alternative sentence” in the Criminal Code revision bill currently awaiting passage in the House of Representatives, in a compromise to appease both public opinion and human rights groups.
Under President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s administration, 18 death row inmates, all of whom were convicted of drug-related crimes, were executed.
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Aceh
- Indonesia seeks to lure Chinese tourists to destinations outside Bali
- BREAKING: Government sacks Pertamina chief
- Google is Indonesia's powerful weapon in war on illegal fishing
- Rupiah weakens to almost Rp 13,900 against US dollar
- 'Islamization' of women's movement in Indonesia
- Dozens of Rohingya come ashore in Indonesia
- Two Palestinians killed by Israeli fire as Gaza protests dwindle
- Suzuki introduces second-generation Ertiga
- Malindo Air flight suffers runway excursion in Kathmandu