Anies orders removal of Monas fence
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has ordered the management of the National Monument (Monas) in Central Jakarta to remove a fence to open all parts of the park to visitors.
Currently, some 50 percent of the fence in the Monas area has been removed, Monas technical management unit head Munjirin said on Thursday, as quoted by kompas.com.
He added that the fence had to be removed because some parts had been severely damaged.
Previously, Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said he wanted to turn Monas into a park similar to Central Park in New York or Hyde Park in London.
Meanwhile, Anies said he did not mind visitors stepping on the grass.
"We can replant the grass, it will grow fast. Let's not consider Monas as a garden, but as a park," he added. "A park is a place where people can play and take part in various activities." (cal)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters