KPK grills Setya’s doctor for obstruction of justice
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has questioned Bimanesh Sutarjo, a doctor at private hospital Medika Permata Hijau in South Jakarta, on his alleged role in aiding politician and graft suspect Setya Novanto to avoid being investigated in the electronic identity (e-ID) graft case.
Bimanesh was tight-lipped as he arrived at the KPK headquarters on Friday morning, reported tribunnews.com.
The KPK named Bimanesh, along with Setya's lawyer Fredrich Yunadi, a suspect of obstruction of justice on Wednesday.
KPK commissioner Basaria Panjaitan said on Wednesday that the two had allegedly conspired to manipulate Setya’s medical records and admit him to Medika Permata Hijau following a car accident in November, thus allowing Setya to avoid the KPK's investigation.
Investigators raided Setya’s house on Nov. 15 in order to arrest him, as he had failed to respond to the agency's summonses multiple times, but did not find him on the premises. A day later, Setya was involved in an accident when the car he was in hit an electricity pole. However, instead of being admitted to the emergency room at Medika, he was directly admitted to a VIP room.
The KPK eventually detained Setya on Nov. 19. (hol/ipa)
- Australia hopes Indonesia will join TPP-11
- Baby Donald Trump causes a stir in Afghanistan
- Turnbull lauds Jokowi's leadership, calls him 'role model'
- Russia expels 23 British diplomats in spy poisoning row
- Xi gets second term with powerful ally as VP
- Immigration officers detain overstaying foreigners, fraudsters
- LIPI researcher looks to curcumin, gold to treat cancer
- Rohingya returnees won't be kept in camps 'forever': Myanmar official
- US moves to slash nicotine in cigarettes
- Three must-see North Maluku festivals