IDI, KPK cooperate to investigate Bimanesh’s possible ethics violation
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Doctors Association (IDI) chairman-elect Daeng Muhammad Faqih has said the IDI was working closely with the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) to find out whether any medical ethics violations were committed by Bimanesh Sutarjo, a medical doctor and suspect of obstruction of justice.
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has recently detained Bimanesh, a doctor at private hospital Medika Permata Hijau, for alleged involvement in aiding e-ID graft defendant Setya Novanto to avoid investigation when the politician, at that time a suspect, was admitted to the hospital following a car accident.
The IDI launched an ethical probe of Bimanesh months ago, days after the brouhaha around Setya’s hospitalization ended with his detention.
"We are still waiting for comprehensive information from the KPK. But if the allegation is of pure obstruction of justice, the IDI thinks it might have nothing to do with medical technicalities,” Daeng told The Jakarta Post on Saturday.
According to the Code of Medical Ethics, doctors are required to do their work according to the highest standards and free from anything that might affect their principle of independence.
He added that the IDI would still cooperate with the KPK on the case nonetheless.
“If the KPK found any indication of medical ethics violations, the IDI would issue a clarification,” said Daeng. “However, if what happened did not involve any medical ethics problems, we will leave the case to the law enforcers.”
Bimanesh was detained on Friday night by the KPK after being questioned for more than 13 hours. (nmn/ipa)
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Shell eyeing Indonesia's LNG market
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- A world without America
- Beijing's new airport comes with new construction tech
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Under fire, Trump says he misspoke on Russia election meddling
- Indonesia to invite Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in to attend Asiad
- Government oversells PT Freeport Indonesia agreement