IDI, KPK cooperate to investigate Bimanesh’s possible ethics violation
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Doctors Association (IDI) chairman-elect Daeng Muhammad Faqih has said the IDI was working closely with the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) to find out whether any medical ethics violations were committed by Bimanesh Sutarjo, a medical doctor and suspect of obstruction of justice.
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has recently detained Bimanesh, a doctor at private hospital Medika Permata Hijau, for alleged involvement in aiding e-ID graft defendant Setya Novanto to avoid investigation when the politician, at that time a suspect, was admitted to the hospital following a car accident.
The IDI launched an ethical probe of Bimanesh months ago, days after the brouhaha around Setya’s hospitalization ended with his detention.
"We are still waiting for comprehensive information from the KPK. But if the allegation is of pure obstruction of justice, the IDI thinks it might have nothing to do with medical technicalities,” Daeng told The Jakarta Post on Saturday.
According to the Code of Medical Ethics, doctors are required to do their work according to the highest standards and free from anything that might affect their principle of independence.
He added that the IDI would still cooperate with the KPK on the case nonetheless.
“If the KPK found any indication of medical ethics violations, the IDI would issue a clarification,” said Daeng. “However, if what happened did not involve any medical ethics problems, we will leave the case to the law enforcers.”
Bimanesh was detained on Friday night by the KPK after being questioned for more than 13 hours. (nmn/ipa)
- BI investigates use of bitcoin in Bali
- President Jokowi purchases custom motorcycle, boosts local businesses
- Uber, Grab to adjust with new decree
- Indonesia expects to pass data protection bill in 2018
- Ed Sheeran announces engagement
- Several Ukrainians among 18 dead in Taliban attack on Kabul hotel
- Man shot dead in night club's parking lot in Bogor
- Sundance debuts dark tale of triplets split at birth
- Fashion brand celebrates third anniversary by cleaning Baduy tribal areas
- Patek Philippe’s Calatrava Ref. 6006G: where graphic elegance meets ultra-thin design