Senior police officers put forward as acting governors
The Jakarta Post
Two high-ranking police officers have been put forward to become acting governors of West Java and North Sumatra as campaigning for the 2018 regional elections begins.
“National Police deputy chief Syafruddin has said two officers have been mandated to temporarily lead the two provinces,” the police's spokesperson Sr. Com. Martinus Sitompul said as quoted by kompas.com in Jakarta on Thursday.
The two officers are the National Police's chief operational assistant Insp. Gen. Mochamad Iriawan and the head of the police’s internal affairs division Insp. Gen. Martuani Sormin.
The names were proposed by National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian as requested by Home Minister Tjahjo Kumolo, said Martinus.
“Iriawan has been put forward to temporarily lead West Java while Martuani will be acting governor of North Sumatra,” he added.
The National Police are still waiting for the official decree from the Home Ministry about the appointment of the two officers.
“We are still waiting for the confirmation from the Home Ministry on who will be appointed to the temporary posts,” Martinus said.
He added that Iriawan and Martuani would follow the steps of Insp. Gen. Carlo Brix Tewu, then an ideology and constitutional expert staffer at the Office of the Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister, who was appointed as acting governor of West Sulawesi during the 2017 regional elections. (nmn/ebf)
- After stunning growth streak, Amazon ambitions seem boundless
- No instruction to bar Anies from pitch: Palace
- Romeo the lonesome frog is feelin' the love
- 'Do not test Israel', Netanyahu tells Iran, brandishing drone 'piece'
- Fidel Castro is not Trudeau's real father: Canadian govt
- Daddy Yankee gets the world dancing again with viral song
- Enjoying legendary 'Jenang' in Surakarta
- Philippines says in talks with China for joint sea exploration
- Seeking post-Brexit unity, EU leaders find more fights
- Saudi women to start own busines without male permission