Video of Jokowi’s visit to Afghanistan goes viral
The Jakarta Post
Video footage of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo leading a prayer at a mosque in Kabul, Afghanistan has gone viral.
The video, which was recorded by the Presidential Palace’s media bureau, shows Jokowi leading a prayer while Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and others stand behind him.
Before the prayer, Jokowi and Ghani reportedly exchanged hats, with Jokowi giving Ghani a peci, while Ghani handed Jokowi a lungee.
Aside from the video, a photo has also gone viral showing members of Jokowi’s carrying out a sujud syukur (prostration of thankfulness).
The photo was uploaded by Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) lawmaker Eva Kusuma Sundari.
“Alhamdulillah (thank God), some minutes ago, the presidential aircraft took off from Kabul. […] What a delightful yet tense visit,” she tweeted on Tuesday morning.
Eva said the kneeling officials were Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi and Presidential Security Detail (Paspampres) commander Maj. Gen. Suhartono.
Kabul had been on high alert during Jokowi’s visit following a series of terrorist attacks. (ebf)
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister to visit Indonesia
- In China's Catholic heartland, Vatican deal brings Communist Party closer
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- The other side of Korea: Art, food and history
- US 'saddened' Saudi journalist dead, no mention of action
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump: Saudi explanation of Khashoggi death credible, 'important first step'