Video of Jokowi’s visit to Afghanistan goes viral
The Jakarta Post
Video footage of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo leading a prayer at a mosque in Kabul, Afghanistan has gone viral.
The video, which was recorded by the Presidential Palace’s media bureau, shows Jokowi leading a prayer while Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and others stand behind him.
Before the prayer, Jokowi and Ghani reportedly exchanged hats, with Jokowi giving Ghani a peci, while Ghani handed Jokowi a lungee.
Aside from the video, a photo has also gone viral showing members of Jokowi’s carrying out a sujud syukur (prostration of thankfulness).
The photo was uploaded by Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) lawmaker Eva Kusuma Sundari.
“Alhamdulillah (thank God), some minutes ago, the presidential aircraft took off from Kabul. […] What a delightful yet tense visit,” she tweeted on Tuesday morning.
Eva said the kneeling officials were Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi and Presidential Security Detail (Paspampres) commander Maj. Gen. Suhartono.
Kabul had been on high alert during Jokowi’s visit following a series of terrorist attacks. (ebf)
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Canadian killed, American wounded in Mexico shooting
- Yazidi 'ex-sex slave' trapped both in Iraq and in German exile
- Pilgrims descend on Mecca for 'smart haj'
- Chinese plane slides off Manila airport runway in heavy rain
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world