Novel to undergo eye surgery
The Jakarta Post
Senior Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan is scheduled to undergo surgery on Monday to cure his severely injured left eye.
During the procedure, surgeons will replace several membranes in Novel’s eye to accelerate its recovery, which will hopefully enable them to implant a synthetic cornea.
“From several examinations conducted by Singaporean and British doctors, it was found that membranes in Novel’s left eye had not yet fully recovered. This has hindered the surgeons’ plan to implant the artificial cornea,” KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said in a statement on Sunday.
He said the KPK had assigned its doctor to accompany Novel during the surgery.
Novel suffered severe burns to his face when he was attacked with acid by two unknown men on April 11 last year. The police have not yet found the perpetrators after 10 months of investigation. (ebf)
- To fast or not? Free of IS, Syrians in Raqa mark relaxed Ramadhan
- Anwar Ibrahim's Jakarta visit packed with media interviews
- Saudis detain women's advocates ahead of driving ban lift
- Boy who could not wait for new phone burns down family's house
- Homes in East Lombok attacked, Ahmadis take refuge at police HQ
- Cuba confirms 110 killed in country's deadliest plane crash since 1989
- UGM launches app to help you help disaster victims
- Indonesia, South Africa organize forum to boost economic ties
- Anwar Ibrahim: Indonesia visit to celebrate ‘Reformasi’
- Trump, Moon discuss N. Korea's threat to scrap summit