Novel to undergo eye surgery
The Jakarta Post
Senior Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan is scheduled to undergo surgery on Monday to cure his severely injured left eye.
During the procedure, surgeons will replace several membranes in Novel’s eye to accelerate its recovery, which will hopefully enable them to implant a synthetic cornea.
“From several examinations conducted by Singaporean and British doctors, it was found that membranes in Novel’s left eye had not yet fully recovered. This has hindered the surgeons’ plan to implant the artificial cornea,” KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said in a statement on Sunday.
He said the KPK had assigned its doctor to accompany Novel during the surgery.
Novel suffered severe burns to his face when he was attacked with acid by two unknown men on April 11 last year. The police have not yet found the perpetrators after 10 months of investigation. (ebf)
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech
- What’s in store for final installment of BTS ‘Love Yourself’ saga
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Coal production at 37.11 percent of full-year target
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Remote China glacial lake bursts, no casualties
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia considers reducing imports of 500 consumer goods