Novel to undergo eye surgery
The Jakarta Post
Senior Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan is scheduled to undergo surgery on Monday to cure his severely injured left eye.
During the procedure, surgeons will replace several membranes in Novel’s eye to accelerate its recovery, which will hopefully enable them to implant a synthetic cornea.
“From several examinations conducted by Singaporean and British doctors, it was found that membranes in Novel’s left eye had not yet fully recovered. This has hindered the surgeons’ plan to implant the artificial cornea,” KPK spokesman Febri Diansyah said in a statement on Sunday.
He said the KPK had assigned its doctor to accompany Novel during the surgery.
Novel suffered severe burns to his face when he was attacked with acid by two unknown men on April 11 last year. The police have not yet found the perpetrators after 10 months of investigation. (ebf)
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Three expat teachers detained in Balikpapan for visa violations
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- Gay couple arrested in Bandung as anti-LGBT wave grips W. Java
- US 'saddened' Saudi journalist dead, no mention of action
- Trump: Saudi explanation of Khashoggi death credible, 'important first step'
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Extend odd-even policy
- Plastic piling up in Japan after China waste ban: Survey