Bicycle community gives reminder of need to share road with cyclists
The Jakarta Post
Bicycle community Rocketers has installed a white bicycle on the sidewalk of Jl. Gatot Subroto in South Jakarta near the location of an accident that took the life of cyclist Sandi Syafiek, 37, on Saturday.
Surrounding the bicycle is a sprinkling of flowers and a white sign that reads, “Share the Road.”
Rocketers spokesman Iwe Nugroho said the white bicycle and white sign installation were intended to urge other road users to share the road with cyclists. “If they understand, then such incidents will never happen,” Iwe said, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
With millions of motorcycles and cars dominating Jakarta’s roads each day, cyclists struggle to remain safe as they cautiously traverse through traffic.
Incidents involving bicycles and cars remain high in the capital with 110 such incidents recorded in 2016, and 85 last year.
On Saturday, a speeding car hit two cyclists traveling along Jl. Gatot Subroto at around 6:20 a.m., resulting in the death of Sandy, who was a Bekasi resident and TV producer. The second victim, Maulana Aditya, suffered light injuries.
The driver of the car fled the scene but has since turned himself in to the police. (vny)
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- Tourists cause human traffic jam at Mt. Fuji
- Venezuelan general, colonel arrested over 'attack' on Maduro
- Prosecutors demand 1.5 years for Buddhist woman on ‘azan’ blasphemy charge
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Malaysia to alter 'hideous' tourism logo featuring ape in shades
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Saudi state carrier hit by system failure ahead of haj
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech