Bicycle community gives reminder of need to share road with cyclists
The Jakarta Post
Bicycle community Rocketers has installed a white bicycle on the sidewalk of Jl. Gatot Subroto in South Jakarta near the location of an accident that took the life of cyclist Sandi Syafiek, 37, on Saturday.
Surrounding the bicycle is a sprinkling of flowers and a white sign that reads, “Share the Road.”
Rocketers spokesman Iwe Nugroho said the white bicycle and white sign installation were intended to urge other road users to share the road with cyclists. “If they understand, then such incidents will never happen,” Iwe said, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
With millions of motorcycles and cars dominating Jakarta’s roads each day, cyclists struggle to remain safe as they cautiously traverse through traffic.
Incidents involving bicycles and cars remain high in the capital with 110 such incidents recorded in 2016, and 85 last year.
On Saturday, a speeding car hit two cyclists traveling along Jl. Gatot Subroto at around 6:20 a.m., resulting in the death of Sandy, who was a Bekasi resident and TV producer. The second victim, Maulana Aditya, suffered light injuries.
The driver of the car fled the scene but has since turned himself in to the police. (vny)
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year
- Baby lobster smugglers arrested