Bicycle community gives reminder of need to share road with cyclists
The Jakarta Post
Bicycle community Rocketers has installed a white bicycle on the sidewalk of Jl. Gatot Subroto in South Jakarta near the location of an accident that took the life of cyclist Sandi Syafiek, 37, on Saturday.
Surrounding the bicycle is a sprinkling of flowers and a white sign that reads, “Share the Road.”
Rocketers spokesman Iwe Nugroho said the white bicycle and white sign installation were intended to urge other road users to share the road with cyclists. “If they understand, then such incidents will never happen,” Iwe said, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
With millions of motorcycles and cars dominating Jakarta’s roads each day, cyclists struggle to remain safe as they cautiously traverse through traffic.
Incidents involving bicycles and cars remain high in the capital with 110 such incidents recorded in 2016, and 85 last year.
On Saturday, a speeding car hit two cyclists traveling along Jl. Gatot Subroto at around 6:20 a.m., resulting in the death of Sandy, who was a Bekasi resident and TV producer. The second victim, Maulana Aditya, suffered light injuries.
The driver of the car fled the scene but has since turned himself in to the police. (vny)
- Planning to travel this Ramadhan? Try these Muslim
- Dugong sellers thwarted in West Sulawesi
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- Malaysian playboy financier in cross
- Japan keeps word, gifts Akita dog to Russian skater Zagitova
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- Teen suspect killed 6
- New lava flow crosses onto Hawaii geothermal plant property
- Rainbow flags and high heels: S. Korea holds debut drag parade