Indonesia promoted to Group 1 Asia/Oceania Zone in Fed Cup
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Fed Cup tennis team has been promoted to Asia/Oceania Zone Group 1 for the 2019 season after outclassing top seed Uzbekistan 3-0 in a promotional play-off at Bahrain Tennis Federation, Isa Town, Bahrain over the weekend.
The last time Indonesia competed in Group 1 was in 2014.
In Saturday’s battles, Indonesia’s Aldila Sutjiadi made a surprise win in the opener by defeating Akgul Amanmuradova in straight sets 6-2, 6-2. The second competitor, Beatrice Gumulya, continued to the good form, beating world No. 194 Sabina Sharipova 4-6, 7-5, 7-5. In the third match, duo Deria Nur Haliza and Jessy Rompies defeated Nigina Abduraimova and Yasmina Karimjanova 7-6(5), 6-1.
“We thought we would play Singapore [in the play-off]. However, according to the ITF’s [International Tennis Federation] new draw system, we were matched against Uzbekistan, which made us a little nervous because they beat us last year,” Beatrice said in a statement on Sunday.
“Thankfully, our coaches continuously encouraged and motivated each of us and set a good strategy, leading us to this victory,” she added.
Besides Indonesia, Pacific Oceania was also promoted to Group 1. The new teams replace the relegated Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- After stunning growth streak, Amazon ambitions seem boundless
- No instruction to bar Anies from pitch: Palace
- Romeo the lonesome frog is feelin' the love
- Fidel Castro is not Trudeau's real father: Canadian govt
- 'Do not test Israel', Netanyahu tells Iran, brandishing drone 'piece'
- Philippines says in talks with China for joint sea exploration
- Daddy Yankee gets the world dancing again with viral song
- Enjoying legendary 'Jenang' in Surakarta
- Seeking post-Brexit unity, EU leaders find more fights
- Saudi women to start own busines without male permission