Indonesia promoted to Group 1 Asia/Oceania Zone in Fed Cup
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Fed Cup tennis team has been promoted to Asia/Oceania Zone Group 1 for the 2019 season after outclassing top seed Uzbekistan 3-0 in a promotional play-off at Bahrain Tennis Federation, Isa Town, Bahrain over the weekend.
The last time Indonesia competed in Group 1 was in 2014.
In Saturday’s battles, Indonesia’s Aldila Sutjiadi made a surprise win in the opener by defeating Akgul Amanmuradova in straight sets 6-2, 6-2. The second competitor, Beatrice Gumulya, continued to the good form, beating world No. 194 Sabina Sharipova 4-6, 7-5, 7-5. In the third match, duo Deria Nur Haliza and Jessy Rompies defeated Nigina Abduraimova and Yasmina Karimjanova 7-6(5), 6-1.
“We thought we would play Singapore [in the play-off]. However, according to the ITF’s [International Tennis Federation] new draw system, we were matched against Uzbekistan, which made us a little nervous because they beat us last year,” Beatrice said in a statement on Sunday.
“Thankfully, our coaches continuously encouraged and motivated each of us and set a good strategy, leading us to this victory,” she added.
Besides Indonesia, Pacific Oceania was also promoted to Group 1. The new teams replace the relegated Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary
- Police shut down illegal gold mines in Riau
- BREAKING: Indonesia passes stronger antiterrorism law