Indonesia promoted to Group 1 Asia/Oceania Zone in Fed Cup
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Fed Cup tennis team has been promoted to Asia/Oceania Zone Group 1 for the 2019 season after outclassing top seed Uzbekistan 3-0 in a promotional play-off at Bahrain Tennis Federation, Isa Town, Bahrain over the weekend.
The last time Indonesia competed in Group 1 was in 2014.
In Saturday’s battles, Indonesia’s Aldila Sutjiadi made a surprise win in the opener by defeating Akgul Amanmuradova in straight sets 6-2, 6-2. The second competitor, Beatrice Gumulya, continued to the good form, beating world No. 194 Sabina Sharipova 4-6, 7-5, 7-5. In the third match, duo Deria Nur Haliza and Jessy Rompies defeated Nigina Abduraimova and Yasmina Karimjanova 7-6(5), 6-1.
“We thought we would play Singapore [in the play-off]. However, according to the ITF’s [International Tennis Federation] new draw system, we were matched against Uzbekistan, which made us a little nervous because they beat us last year,” Beatrice said in a statement on Sunday.
“Thankfully, our coaches continuously encouraged and motivated each of us and set a good strategy, leading us to this victory,” she added.
Besides Indonesia, Pacific Oceania was also promoted to Group 1. The new teams replace the relegated Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- Jokowi won't grant Nuril amnesty
- Ed Sheeran on BTS: ‘I think they are great’
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- AirAsia to move international operations to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 2
- Palm oil industry calls on govt to take 'firm' action against Greenpeace