Prisoner found hanged in Central Jakarta detention center
The Jakarta Post
A 27-year old prisoner has been found dead in a bathroom of the Salemba detention center in Central Jakarta. Riski Permana allegedly committed suicide on Monday.
The center’s warden, Masjuno, said on Tuesday that the incident had occurred the night before, according to a witness named Simon, who shared the cell with Riski.
Surprised that Riski did not return from the bathroom after a long time, Simon reportedly called him and knocked on the bathroom door. As there was no answer, Simon opened the door by force and found Riski hanged in a sarong tied to an iron pipe, the warden said.
“It happened near Isha prayer time [around 7:30 p.m.]. The bathroom is inside the cell, and the cellmate wondered why the door remained closed for a while. Hence, he broke it,” Masjuno said Tuesday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Detention center officers are still investigating the motive behind the apparent suicide. Masjuno said Riski might have had personal problems, because his family rarely visited him. (wnd)
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year
- Baby lobster smugglers arrested