Prisoner found hanged in Central Jakarta detention center
The Jakarta Post
A 27-year old prisoner has been found dead in a bathroom of the Salemba detention center in Central Jakarta. Riski Permana allegedly committed suicide on Monday.
The center’s warden, Masjuno, said on Tuesday that the incident had occurred the night before, according to a witness named Simon, who shared the cell with Riski.
Surprised that Riski did not return from the bathroom after a long time, Simon reportedly called him and knocked on the bathroom door. As there was no answer, Simon opened the door by force and found Riski hanged in a sarong tied to an iron pipe, the warden said.
“It happened near Isha prayer time [around 7:30 p.m.]. The bathroom is inside the cell, and the cellmate wondered why the door remained closed for a while. Hence, he broke it,” Masjuno said Tuesday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Detention center officers are still investigating the motive behind the apparent suicide. Masjuno said Riski might have had personal problems, because his family rarely visited him. (wnd)
- Planning to travel this Ramadhan? Try these Muslim
- Dugong sellers thwarted in West Sulawesi
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- Malaysian playboy financier in cross
- Japan keeps word, gifts Akita dog to Russian skater Zagitova
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- Teen suspect killed 6
- New lava flow crosses onto Hawaii geothermal plant property
- Rainbow flags and high heels: S. Korea holds debut drag parade