Prisoner found hanged in Central Jakarta detention center
The Jakarta Post
A 27-year old prisoner has been found dead in a bathroom of the Salemba detention center in Central Jakarta. Riski Permana allegedly committed suicide on Monday.
The center’s warden, Masjuno, said on Tuesday that the incident had occurred the night before, according to a witness named Simon, who shared the cell with Riski.
Surprised that Riski did not return from the bathroom after a long time, Simon reportedly called him and knocked on the bathroom door. As there was no answer, Simon opened the door by force and found Riski hanged in a sarong tied to an iron pipe, the warden said.
“It happened near Isha prayer time [around 7:30 p.m.]. The bathroom is inside the cell, and the cellmate wondered why the door remained closed for a while. Hence, he broke it,” Masjuno said Tuesday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Detention center officers are still investigating the motive behind the apparent suicide. Masjuno said Riski might have had personal problems, because his family rarely visited him. (wnd)
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- Tourists cause human traffic jam at Mt. Fuji
- Venezuelan general, colonel arrested over 'attack' on Maduro
- Prosecutors demand 1.5 years for Buddhist woman on ‘azan’ blasphemy charge
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Malaysia to alter 'hideous' tourism logo featuring ape in shades
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Saudi state carrier hit by system failure ahead of haj
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech