Driver of ride-hailing service arrested over alleged molestation of passenger
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Police have arrested Angrizal Noviandi, 31, a driver of a ride-hailing service who allegedly molested a pregnant customer during a trip from Jatiasih, Bekasi, to Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Banten on Monday.
According to the police, the victim ordered the taxi at around 4 a.m.
Angrizal allegedly drove to a dark and secluded location where he started molesting her.
“The victim couldn’t fight the driver. She then told him that she was two months pregnant,” Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said on Tuesday.
Upon hearing of her pregnancy, Angrizal allegedly grabbed the victim’s phone before forcing her to exit the car on a toll road near the airport.
Following a report from the victim of the alleged incident, the Jakarta Police arrested Angrizal at Galaxi Residential Complex in Bekasi at 6 p.m.
Angrizal reportedly admitted he was guilty of sexual assault and told the police he threw away the phone in Kalimalang, East Jakarta.
While the police took him to Kalimalang to search for the phone, Angrizal attempted to escape once he exited the police car, Argo said.
“The police officer gave a warning shot but he ignored it. Therefore, the police shot him in the leg,” Argo said, adding he was taken to the National Police Hospital in Kramatjati, East Jakarta, to receive treatment.
- Prosecutors demand 1.5 years for Buddhist woman on ‘azan’ blasphemy charge
- Malaysia to alter 'hideous' tourism logo featuring ape in shades
- Sony's new super-fast cameras are winning over the pros
- Iran unveils next generation missile: Media
- School boy, 14, runs for Vermont governor
- China designs spacecraft to extend lifespan of satellites
- Former S. Korea presidential hopeful acquitted in sex abuse case
- Tourists cause human traffic jam at Mt. Fuji
- Defending territorial integrity over Natuna islands
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world