BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) has named President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo its presidential candidate in 2019, less than six months before the national poll body opens registration for next year’s election.
The party made the declaration on Friday during a closed-door national meeting of party executives in Denpasar, Bali. The meeting was held to discuss strategies ahead of the upcoming regional elections as well as the 2019 legislative and presidential elections.
“I declare Joko Widodo the presidential candidate from the PDI-P,” party chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri told the party’s rank and file in a video shared by the party to journalists covering the event.
“Are you ready to win?” Megawati said, showing the party’s sign with her fingers.
Four political parties have already officially declared support for Jokowi's re-election bid, namely the Golkar Party, the National Awakening Party (PKB), the United Development Party (PPP) and the NasDem Party.
The PDI-P's decision came amid speculation over who will be appointed Jokowi's running mate in 2019, with Vice President Jusuf Kalla potentially barred from running again. Kalla, who served as VP between 2004 and 2009, has served as VP for two periods. (ahw)
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Indian bishop accused of raping nun steps aside as arrest calls grow
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump defends Supreme Court pick after sex assault allegation