Committee claims independency in selecting KPPU commissioners
The Jakarta Post
The selection committee appointed by President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo to select candidates for commissioners for the Business Competition Supervisory Commission (KPPU) claims to be independent in selecting the prospective individuals.
Committee chairwoman Hendri Saparini said in Jakarta on Monday the committee involved PT Quantum HRM Internasional, an independent consultant, in holding a competency and psychological test for the candidates.
She said the consultant, who won the tender held by the Cabinet Secretariat, had also been involved in the selection of commissioner candidates of Ombudsman Indonesia and the Financial Transaction Reports and Analysis Center (PPATK) by other selection teams.
“We told the consultant about the criteria of the candidates, including integrity and maturity,” Hendri said during a press conference.
She explained the consultant only nominated 26 candidates after the test, and the names were announced on Oct 24, 2017.
After an open interview by members of selection committee, 18 names were nominated as the final candidates, which were submitted by Jokowi to the House of Representatives.
Committee member Rhenald Kasali said even if the selection process was repeated as demanded by the House, the result would be the same, unless the test parameters were modified drastically.
House’s Commission VI, overseeing trade and investment, among other things, rejected carrying out fit and proper tests to the selected candidates, saying many selection committee members had conflicts of interests regarding the KPPU.
Jokowi had extended the office term of the current commissioners twice because their term had originally expired on Dec. 27, 2017. (bbn)
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- 5 wall shelf design ideas for small spaces