KPPU commissioner candidates selected professionally: Team
The Jakarta Post
The Business Competition Supervisory Commission (KPPU) selection team has stressed that it carried out its job professionally in selecting commissioner candidates as tasked by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.
“Therefore, there is no reason for the House of Representatives not to conduct a fit and proper test on the candidates who were selected,” KPPU selection team member Rhenald Kasali said in Jakarta over the weekend, as quoted by kompas.com on Monday.
The House has blamed the government for the standoff in finalizing the selection of the KPPU’s commissioners, saying that the KPPU had failed to appoint independent members to the candidate selection team.
House Commission VI for trade and investment refused to carry out a fit and proper test on the candidates, saying that many members of the selection team had a conflict of interest with regard to the KPPU.
President Jokowi has already twice extended the current commissioners' terms, which had originally expired on Dec. 27, 2017. The second extension to their terms will expire in late April.
Rhenald said the selected candidates had passed tough scrutiny by the selection team and were competent to appointed as KPPU commissioners.
He added that the selection team would not repeat the selection process if the House demanded certain individuals to be included on the list of candidates. (bbn)
- Ten diaspora restaurants set to promote Indonesian tourism
- Apple tries to win back students and teachers with low-cost iPad
- Bali-based band Navicula bassist in hospital, girlfriend dies after car accident
- Ryanair to launch flights to Ukraine from October
- Indonesia, Singapore lead deep-sea expedition to West Java
- 13 Indonesian airports join Earth Hour campaign
- Two dead as suspected IS gunman takes hostages in France
- Syahrini responds to backlash over Holocaust Memorial video
- Human-like calf stuns Gorontalo residents
- Prosecutors demand 7 years for suspect in Cikupa persecution case