KPPU commissioner candidates selected professionally: Team
The Jakarta Post
The Business Competition Supervisory Commission (KPPU) selection team has stressed that it carried out its job professionally in selecting commissioner candidates as tasked by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.
“Therefore, there is no reason for the House of Representatives not to conduct a fit and proper test on the candidates who were selected,” KPPU selection team member Rhenald Kasali said in Jakarta over the weekend, as quoted by kompas.com on Monday.
The House has blamed the government for the standoff in finalizing the selection of the KPPU’s commissioners, saying that the KPPU had failed to appoint independent members to the candidate selection team.
House Commission VI for trade and investment refused to carry out a fit and proper test on the candidates, saying that many members of the selection team had a conflict of interest with regard to the KPPU.
President Jokowi has already twice extended the current commissioners' terms, which had originally expired on Dec. 27, 2017. The second extension to their terms will expire in late April.
Rhenald said the selected candidates had passed tough scrutiny by the selection team and were competent to appointed as KPPU commissioners.
He added that the selection team would not repeat the selection process if the House demanded certain individuals to be included on the list of candidates. (bbn)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack