Jokowi reminds ministers to ensure RI preparedness for Asian Games
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has reminded all related ministers that the 2018 Asian Games are only six months away, so they must ensure that all preparations for the major sporting event are on track.
During a limited Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Jokowi ordered his aides to check all technical details, from the opening ceremony to the closing party, including alternative scenarios that may be needed to anticipate any unwanted occurrences at the event.
Dubbed the biggest multi-sporting event in Asia, the 2018 Asian Games are scheduled to be held from Aug.18 to Sept.2.
“The technical details being discussed also include matters related to traffic management, logistics preparedness, smooth mobility of athletes and officials and the readiness of supporting personnel,” said Jokowi during the opening of the Cabinet meeting.
Jokowi went on to say he would inquire about the latest data and information on the construction progress of the Athletes Village and venues for the sporting event, which will be held in Jakarta and Palembang in South Sumatra.
"We must also prepare our athletes since we don't only want to be a successful host, but also achieve at the games," Jokowi said. (ebf)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?