Jokowi reminds ministers to ensure RI preparedness for Asian Games
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has reminded all related ministers that the 2018 Asian Games are only six months away, so they must ensure that all preparations for the major sporting event are on track.
During a limited Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Jokowi ordered his aides to check all technical details, from the opening ceremony to the closing party, including alternative scenarios that may be needed to anticipate any unwanted occurrences at the event.
Dubbed the biggest multi-sporting event in Asia, the 2018 Asian Games are scheduled to be held from Aug.18 to Sept.2.
“The technical details being discussed also include matters related to traffic management, logistics preparedness, smooth mobility of athletes and officials and the readiness of supporting personnel,” said Jokowi during the opening of the Cabinet meeting.
Jokowi went on to say he would inquire about the latest data and information on the construction progress of the Athletes Village and venues for the sporting event, which will be held in Jakarta and Palembang in South Sumatra.
"We must also prepare our athletes since we don't only want to be a successful host, but also achieve at the games," Jokowi said. (ebf)
- Jokowi gives green light for indigenous people bill deliberation
- Facebook post pushes Norway government to the brink of collapse
- Fatal accident on West Java toll road claims six lives
- Iron block falls at apartment project site in S. Jakarta, killing one
- UGM students sent to Asmat
- Kevin and Marcus reach thriller All England final
- French language eyes 'le comeback' as Britain leaves Europe
- Putin on track for commanding win as Russians head to polls
- Boxer dies 10 months after fight left him in a coma
- Opposition, NGO cry fraud in Russian polls