Jokowi reminds ministers to ensure RI preparedness for Asian Games
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has reminded all related ministers that the 2018 Asian Games are only six months away, so they must ensure that all preparations for the major sporting event are on track.
During a limited Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Jokowi ordered his aides to check all technical details, from the opening ceremony to the closing party, including alternative scenarios that may be needed to anticipate any unwanted occurrences at the event.
Dubbed the biggest multi-sporting event in Asia, the 2018 Asian Games are scheduled to be held from Aug.18 to Sept.2.
“The technical details being discussed also include matters related to traffic management, logistics preparedness, smooth mobility of athletes and officials and the readiness of supporting personnel,” said Jokowi during the opening of the Cabinet meeting.
Jokowi went on to say he would inquire about the latest data and information on the construction progress of the Athletes Village and venues for the sporting event, which will be held in Jakarta and Palembang in South Sumatra.
"We must also prepare our athletes since we don't only want to be a successful host, but also achieve at the games," Jokowi said. (ebf)
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Cuba to get ready for same sex marriage: Castro daughter
- 5 wall shelf design ideas for small spaces