Student hurls shoe at former PM Nawaz Sharif
An Islamic seminary student hurled a shoe at Pakistan's former prime minister on Sunday, an act considered a major insult in the Muslim country.
Nawaz Sharif, who was ousted last year over graft charges, appeared visibly shocked as the shoe hit his shoulder while he was addressing a gathering at a seminary in Lahore.
The incident came a day after an individual hurled ink at Foreign Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif, a member of the ruling party and a close Sharif aide, while he was speaking at a party rally in eastern Pakistan.
The shoe hurling was broadcast live on Pakistani TV channels. In the Muslim world, such a gesture is considered particularly insulting.
Shoe hurled at former Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif by a student at Jamia address in Lahore. pic.twitter.com/MlHYDkNeG0— Aditya Raj Kaul (@AdityaRajKaul) March 11, 2018
The perpetrator then jumped on stage where Sharif was standing and began chanting before he was overpowered by the crowd and handed over to the police.
According to police officials, the man is a student at the seminary.
Minutes later, Imran Khan, leader of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf opposition party and an arch rival of Sharif who has frequently criticised the former prime minister, condemned the incident.
"This is not the way to express yourself and I condemn whoever did it," Khan said.
Sharif, a three-time prime minister, was ousted by the judiciary in July 2017 over corruption charges which he is currently facing in Pakistani courts.
Highly condemnable act somebody throws ink on foreign minister @KhawajaMAsif.. Beware it is a dangerous/unfortunate start to pull up the tussle/confrontation/rivalry among political parties!#KhawajaAsif #PMLN #PTI #DemocracyDemonetised #PPP pic.twitter.com/EPnlpqOuYl— Asad Ali Toor (@AsadAToor) March 10, 2018
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices