Jokowi dines with Turnbull ahead of ASEAN summit
The Jakarta Post
Shortly after arriving in Australia on Friday evening and receiving a warm welcome at Sydney's Four Seasons Hotel, which included members of the Indonesian diaspora, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo headed to Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s residence for a dinner.
Jokowi departed at 7:30 p.m. local time for Turnbull’s residence at Point Piper, which is only a 15-minute drive from the Four Seasons Hotel.
“The dinner at the Australian prime minister's private mansion is a sign of a very close relationship between the two leaders,” said Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi during a press conference on Friday at the Four Seasons.
The dinner was not open to journalists.
For his visit during the ASEAN-Australia Special Summit, Jokowi was provided with an Australian-made car. The white Holden Caprice was fitted with a special license plate for the summit with the number 041.
Retno said the summit would begin on Saturday. Jokowi would meet Turnbull again in a bilateral meeting, after which he was scheduled to deliver remarks at a CEO forum along with the Australian prime minister. (ebf)
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent