Suicide bomber kills eight in Kabul attack: officials
A suicide bomber blew himself up in front of Kabul University on Wednesday, killing at least eight people, officials said, as Afghans celebrate the Persian new year holiday.
Another 20 people were wounded in the blast, health ministry spokesman Waheed Majroh told AFP.
A suicide attacker on foot detonated himself in front of Kabul University, the interior ministry said.
A man who was standing metres from where the explosion happened told Tolo News that he saw "at least four bodies in blood" on the ground.
The Afghan capital had ramped up security ahead of Nawrooz, which is the traditional Persian new year holiday, in anticipation of attacks.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the assault but Taliban and Islamic State militants have increasingly targeted the war-weary city in recent months.
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?