Worm-contaminated canned sardines circulating in five regencies, city: Report
The Jakarta Post
Imported canned-sardines reportedly contaminated with threadworms are suspected to be circulating in four regencies and one city across Riau. Officials are tracing the products in the market.
As well as in the Meranti Islands and Indragiri Hilir regencies, authorities in Bengkalis and Rokan Hilir regencies and Dumai city have reported the distribution of the worm-tainted canned sardine products in their areas.
The five areas border Riau Islands province. As coastal areas, they serve as entrance points for products from neighboring provinces and countries.
The Riau Trade and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Agency’s domestic trade division head Asril Encik said the contaminated canned-sardines entered Riau from Riau Islands.
“Our consumer protection and monitoring team, together with the Pekanbaru Food and Drugs Monitoring Agency [BPOM] will search stores and markets in the five areas to find out about the scale of the distribution of the products,” Asril said on Thursday.
He said the team would confiscate and destroy the products to protect consumers. “For those who have bought the products, please do not consume it.”
BPOM Pekanbaru head Muhammad Kashuri said three canned Mackerel products had tested positive for containing roundworms and had been circulated in several areas across Riau. They are Farmer Jack, and IO and Hoki, which are all imported.
“All the worms in the products were killed by sterilization in the factories. But they can still cause asthma, allergy and skin disease if consumed,” said Kashuri, adding the BPOM had warned and asked their importers in Batam and Jakarta to recall the products. (ebf)
- Seoul Fashion Week ready for kickoff
- 17 missing students in North Sumatra flood rescued
- NTT to move immigrants to island near Australia
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- The warning signs get stronger
- Lewinsky affair not an abuse of power, says Hillary Clinton
- US wants "regime change" in Iran: Rouhani
- KPK urged to be resolute in solving IndonesiaLeaks report case
- Washington diocese names 31 former clergy accused of abuse
- Delayed school entry good for mental health: Study