KPK questions Jambi governor as graft suspect
The Jakarta Post
Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigators questioned on Monday Jambi Governor Zumi Zola Zulkifli as a suspect in a graft case related to several projects in the province.
The governor answered the KPK summons for questioning on Monday after he failed to answer the first summons on April 4, in which he claimed he did not receive an official letter from the antigraft body. The KPK insisted it had sent the summons and been notified that the letter was received.
The KPK named Zumi, along with Jambi Public Works Agency acting head Arfan, graft suspects in February. They were suspected to have received unlawful gifts amounting to Rp 6 billion (US$435,600) in connection to projects in Jambi.
Arfan was previously named a suspect in a bribery case related to the deliberation of the 2018 Jambi provincial budget. He was arrested in an operation in November last year along with a number of officials who were suspected of giving kickbacks to several councillors in order to influence the budget's deliberation.
Zumi was named a suspect after graft busters conducted a series of investigations and raids at his house and villa, as well as confiscating several documents and money – both in rupiah and United States dollars.
The antigraft body previously said it would dig deeper into Zumi’s alleged role in the bribery of Jambi councillors because the money he paid to the legislative members were from contractors partnering with the Jambi administration. (ebf)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Instant Noodle Longform