Police continue investigation into Danarto’s death
The Jakarta Post
South Tangerang Police have decided to launch an investigation into Surya Lesmana, the motorcycle driver who allegedly hit renowned writer Danarto, 77, while he was crossing a road in Ciputat, South Tangerang, on Tuesday.
“We will start the investigation soon,” South Tangerang Police traffic department chief Lalu Hedwin said on Wednesday.
Lalu said the police would investigate Surya’s condition at the time of the accident to see whether he was under the influence of any drugs. The police will also question witnesses who saw the accident.
“We have only questioned two witnesses so far,” Lalu said.
Surya allegedly hit Danarto with his motorcycle on Tuesday afternoon at 1.30 p.m. in Ciputat. He was reportedly driving 60 km/hour.
Lalu said that Surya had brought Danarto to Syarif Hidayatullah Hospital in Ciputat immediately after the accident. Danarto was transferred to and treated at Fatmawati Hospital in South Jakarta, but died after 4.5 hours of treatment.
Danarto’s sister Srimurni said the family had decided not to press charges against Surya. “We just want the late Danarto to be forgiven for all his sins and mistakes he made in his life,” she said on Wednesday. (ami)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Record $27.5 mn settlement in NY Catholic child sex abuse case
- Instant Noodle Longform