Police continue investigation into Danarto’s death
The Jakarta Post
South Tangerang Police have decided to launch an investigation into Surya Lesmana, the motorcycle driver who allegedly hit renowned writer Danarto, 77, while he was crossing a road in Ciputat, South Tangerang, on Tuesday.
“We will start the investigation soon,” South Tangerang Police traffic department chief Lalu Hedwin said on Wednesday.
Lalu said the police would investigate Surya’s condition at the time of the accident to see whether he was under the influence of any drugs. The police will also question witnesses who saw the accident.
“We have only questioned two witnesses so far,” Lalu said.
Surya allegedly hit Danarto with his motorcycle on Tuesday afternoon at 1.30 p.m. in Ciputat. He was reportedly driving 60 km/hour.
Lalu said that Surya had brought Danarto to Syarif Hidayatullah Hospital in Ciputat immediately after the accident. Danarto was transferred to and treated at Fatmawati Hospital in South Jakarta, but died after 4.5 hours of treatment.
Danarto’s sister Srimurni said the family had decided not to press charges against Surya. “We just want the late Danarto to be forgiven for all his sins and mistakes he made in his life,” she said on Wednesday. (ami)
- Local residents slaughter 292 crocodiles in Sorong farm
- Indonesia among world’s less stressed countries
- Government oversells PT Freeport Indonesia agreement
- Third coalition at stake after Muhaimin's maneuver
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Densus 88 shoot dead three alleged terrorists in Yogyakarta
- Trump's trip to Europe: Top five highlights
- KPK raids PLN president director's house in Jakarta
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Saudi woman could be jailed for hugging pop star