Police continue investigation into Danarto’s death
The Jakarta Post
South Tangerang Police have decided to launch an investigation into Surya Lesmana, the motorcycle driver who allegedly hit renowned writer Danarto, 77, while he was crossing a road in Ciputat, South Tangerang, on Tuesday.
“We will start the investigation soon,” South Tangerang Police traffic department chief Lalu Hedwin said on Wednesday.
Lalu said the police would investigate Surya’s condition at the time of the accident to see whether he was under the influence of any drugs. The police will also question witnesses who saw the accident.
“We have only questioned two witnesses so far,” Lalu said.
Surya allegedly hit Danarto with his motorcycle on Tuesday afternoon at 1.30 p.m. in Ciputat. He was reportedly driving 60 km/hour.
Lalu said that Surya had brought Danarto to Syarif Hidayatullah Hospital in Ciputat immediately after the accident. Danarto was transferred to and treated at Fatmawati Hospital in South Jakarta, but died after 4.5 hours of treatment.
Danarto’s sister Srimurni said the family had decided not to press charges against Surya. “We just want the late Danarto to be forgiven for all his sins and mistakes he made in his life,” she said on Wednesday. (ami)
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- Government issues revised regulation on tax holidays
- Palm oil exports fall by 14% in February: Gapki
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Landslide damages house in Depok
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta
- Driver named suspect after death of toddler in East Jakarta