Two LRT cars arrive in Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
Two cars for the light rapid transit (LRT) arrived at the Tanjung Priok port on Friday from South Korea.
The two are part of the 16 LRT cars that will serve the 5.8-kilometer LRT line connecting Velodrome in Rawamangun, East Jakarta, to Kelapa Gading, North Jakarta.
The construction project for the first LRT line is set to be finished in August ahead of the quadrennial sporting event, the Asian Games. The Games will be held from Aug. 18 to Sept. 2 in Jakarta and Palembang, South Sumatra.
Satya Heragandhi, the president director of city-owned construction company PT Jakarta Propertindo, who is in charge of the project, said the two cars would be transported to Kelapa Gading Station, where it will be put on the tracks.
“The cars will undergo testing and the commissioning process in May so that it will be ready to operate by the end of June,” Satya said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com.
Satya added that the Jakarta administration would announce when the LRT could begin service.
Previously, Vice President Jusuf Kalla said the LRT would not be ready for the Asian Games as there were some problems in the construction process. (iwa)
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?