Busway queue snakes into street in odd-even trial chaos
The Jakarta Post
Monday's implementation of the odd-even license plate policy at the Cibubur 2 tollgate heading toward Jakarta has caused an unusually long queue at a Transjakarta bus shelter in front of the Cibubur Junction shopping mall in East Jakarta.
The line of waiting Transjakarta bus passengers extended beyond the shelter and into the street, kompas.com reported.
“I usually line up to take a Transjakarta bus here, but today’s queue is surprisingly long,” said Ridho, a regular busway rider.
The Greater Jakarta Transportation Agency (BPTJ) is running a trial of the odd-even policy in the area from Apr. 16 to the end of the month. The policy, which is in effect from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. on weekdays, is expected to reduce the number of vehicles entering the capital.
On the first day of the policy's trial run in Cibubur, several drivers in vehicles bearing odd-numbered license plates seemed unaware of the operation and attempted to enter the tollgate. “I did not know about the odd-even policy, and now I am confused about where to go,” said one driver.
Traffic officers instructed the drivers of odd-numbered vehicles to alternative roads to the capital city.
The agency also started the trial run of the odd-even rationing on Monday at the Tangerang 2 and Kunciran 2 tollgates in Banten.
The BPTJ previously implemented the policy on toll roads connecting Jakarta and Bekasi, West Java. The policy reportedly cut the travel time from Bekasi to Jakarta significantly by 30 to 40 minutes. (vny)
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama