Trial policy to reduce Tangerang traffic by 45%: Minister
The Jakarta Post
The odd-even traffic policy that will be trialed on the Tangerang-Jakarta toll road starting Monday is expected to reduce traffic from Tangerang to Jakarta by up to 45 percent, the transportation minister has said.
“In Bekasi, the policy has managed to reduce traffic by about 36 percent. Here [in Tangerang], we project traffic reduction of between 40 and 45 percent,” Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi said on Sunday during his visit to Kunciran Tollgate II in Tangerang, Banten, tempo.co reported.
During the trial, the odd-even policy will be implemented from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. Monday to Friday, excepting holidays, at the Kunciran 2 and Tangerang 2 tollgates.
Under the new policy, only vehicles with even license plate numbers are permitted to pass through the tollgates on even dates, and only vehicles with odd license plate numbers are allowed to pass through the tollgates on odd dates.
Apart from applying the odd-even policy starting May 1, the government will also introduce special lanes for public transportation along the toll road while restricting the passage of cargo trucks.
Earlier, Greater Jakarta Transportation Management Agency (BPTJ) head Bambang Prihartono said that about 3,000 vehicles passed through the Tangerang 2 and Kunciran 2 tollgates from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. every day. The ideal toll road capacity during the time period is 1,700 vehicles.
Similar policies had been introduced to the Cikampek-Jakarta toll road, and the odd-even policy was also introduced along the Jagorawi-Jakarta toll road, particularly from the Cibubur 2 tollgate headed to Jakarta. (bbn)
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Rapes and beatings: The torments of South Korea's young athletes
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Russian 'agent' held on charges of seeking to infiltrate US govt
- BMKG warns of high waves around Lombok
- Prabowo visits Yudhoyono in hospital