Committee created to find replacement for only female MK justice
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has signed a presidential decree (Perpres) to set up a selection committee designated to appoint the successor of Constitutional Court (MK) Justice Maria Farida Indrati, the first and currently the only woman in the court.
Maria is set to leave the nine-panel bench after serving for 10 years at the court tasked with guarding the 1945 Constitution.
"The President has signed [the Perpres] earlier on [Monday]," State Secretary Pratikno confirmed to journalists on Monday.
The President has appointed former justice Harjono to lead the selection committee.
The selection committee is responsible for screening justice candidates. Jokowi will have the final say on the appointment from a list of candidates selected by the committee.
The Constitutional Court law stipulates that the President, the Supreme Court and the House of Representatives each have the right to appoint three justices through a transparent nomination and with public participation.
Maria's replacement is to be chosen by Jokowi since Maria, who is considered among a few of Constitutional Court justices who hold progressive views, was appointed twice by former president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in 2008 and 2013. (ahw)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak