Committee created to find replacement for only female MK justice
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has signed a presidential decree (Perpres) to set up a selection committee designated to appoint the successor of Constitutional Court (MK) Justice Maria Farida Indrati, the first and currently the only woman in the court.
Maria is set to leave the nine-panel bench after serving for 10 years at the court tasked with guarding the 1945 Constitution.
"The President has signed [the Perpres] earlier on [Monday]," State Secretary Pratikno confirmed to journalists on Monday.
The President has appointed former justice Harjono to lead the selection committee.
The selection committee is responsible for screening justice candidates. Jokowi will have the final say on the appointment from a list of candidates selected by the committee.
The Constitutional Court law stipulates that the President, the Supreme Court and the House of Representatives each have the right to appoint three justices through a transparent nomination and with public participation.
Maria's replacement is to be chosen by Jokowi since Maria, who is considered among a few of Constitutional Court justices who hold progressive views, was appointed twice by former president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in 2008 and 2013. (ahw)
- Merapi coffee shop draws tourists to Sleman
- Indonesia considers joining TPP-11
- Ants that 'explode' to fight foes discovered on Borneo
- Teacher charged with child abuse for slapping students
- Garuda Indonesia's Kartini Flight features all-female pilots, cabin crew, groundcrew
- Papuans celebrate womanhood in mangrove forest
- Janelle Monae plans dystopian film to accompany album
- North Korea's Kim promises no more nuclear or missile tests
- School accuses travel agency of fraud
- Bootleg liquor claims more lives in Bekasi