Wiranto, SBY meet, discuss politics ahead of elections
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Wiranto met with former president and Democratic Party chief patron Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono on Tuesday to talk about politics.
“I am the coordinating political, legal and security affairs [minister]. [The title] clearly includes ‘politics’ so in order to understand the latest political developments, especially ahead of the elections, I meet with various political figures and party leaders,” Wiranto said at his office in Central Jakarta after the meeting, which took place in Yudhoyono’s residence in Kuningan, South Jakarta.
Wiranto, the chief patron of Hanura, a member of the ruling party coalition, added that he had “listened to Yudhoyono’s insight on national politics.”
Wiranto acknowledged that the two retired military generals also discussed national security affairs.
“He has experience in managing national security as a [military] commander, so [I wanted] insight from him on [...] what to do in order to maintain political stability ahead of the elections,” he said.
Wiranto hinted that he would also meet with other political party leaders to “maintain political communications.” (swd)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Transjakarta bus crashes to avoid hitting street sweeper