Police investigate fatal Monas social event
The Jakarta Post
The National Police have handed over a case to the Jakarta Police pertaining to the death of two children during a social event at National Monument (Monas) Park, Central Jakarta, last Saturday, during which hundreds of people jostled to get their hands on free staple food packages.
Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said the police would summons witnesses in connection to the case.
“Let us work on this case,” Argo said on Thursday as quoted by tempo.co.
Mahesa Junaedi, 12, died of dehydration during the event organized by Forum Untukmu Indonesia. While M. Rizki Syahputra, a 10-year-old with special needs, was reportedly trampled to death as people tried to obtain the free items.
Jakarta Police said earlier that both children fainted in Monas but that their conditions might have not been caused by the event.
Meanwhile, Forum Untukmu Indonesia chairman Dave Santosa met with Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno at City Hall on Thursday. He was accompanied by United Indonesia Party (Perindo) Jakarta chapter chairman Surianta Tarigan.
The party was established by businessman Hary Tanoesoedibyo, supporter of Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan.
Sandiaga has denied reports that Dave is a volunteer for the administration’s One District One Center of Entrepreneurship (OK OCE) program.
“I want to clarify that Dave is not an OK OCE volunteer. I just met him one time. I know OK OCE volunteers, I know their addresses and phone numbers. I often text them on WhatsApp. Dave is not one of the volunteers,” he said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com
Dave said he would be responsible for the damage sustained in Monas after the event. He added the event organizers had met with the families of the victims.
“We have apologized and met with the families of the victims. They said they wouldn’t continue the legal process because this was an accident,” Dave said according to tempo.co.
Lawyer Muhammad Fayyadh claimed on Wednesday that the mother of Rizki had accepted Rp 5 million (US$ 358) in hush money from Relawan Merah Putih in exchange for her not speaking of the incident .
Relawan Merah Putih is a campaign group that supported Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and Jusuf Kalla during the 2014 presidential election and Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama and Djarot Syaiful Hidayat during the 2017 Jakarta gubernatorial election. (cal)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- Huawei gives free power banks to people queuing for new iPhone
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?