Dead baby found in plastic bag in North Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
A newborn baby boy was found dead inside a plastic bag on a street in a residential area in Suter Jaya, Tanjung Priok, North Jakarta, on Sunday night.
A resident, Itaqul Amrilah, 29, found a red plastic bag with the baby in it when she went to throw out the trash near her house.
“Itaqul returned to her house and called Denny Saputra, 31, to check what was inside the plastic bag. They found a dead baby boy, estimated to be 3 days old,” Tanjung Priok Police chief Comr. Supriyanto said Monday as quoted by tribunnews.com.
The finding was reported to security guards in the residential area who later reported the case to the Tanjung Priok Police.
“Based on evidence we found at the scene and a CCTV recording from one of the houses, we alleged that the perpetrator was the baby’s mother,” Supriyanto said.
He added that the mother, 19, admitted that she killed the baby out of shame because she gave birth to him out of wedlock.
The suspect, who Supriyanto said was taken into custody, faces charges under Article 80 of the Child Protection Law on assault, which carries a maximum sentence of 3.5 years' imprisonment.
The police are still searching for the father. (iwa)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?