Odd-even license plate policy extended to Karawaci tollgates
The Jakarta Post
The Greater Jakarta Transportation Agency (BPTJ) has decided to apply the odd-even vehicle license plate policy at Karawaci 2 and Karawaci 4 tollgates starting on Monday from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.
“We will familiarize people with this policy and at the same time carry out a two-week trial run starting on Monday,” BPTJ head Bambang Prihartono said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com.
He said the decision was made after the agency conducted a survey and analysis on Tomang intersection, West Jakarta.
“During the survey and analysis we found that vehicle lines could be reduced from 4.1 kilometers to 2.7 km,” said Bambang.
The odd-even license plate policy in Karawaci tollgates is an expansion of a similar policy that has been implemented in Tangerang 2 and Kunciran 2 tollgates.
The capital has been listed among the world’s most congested cities, according to the latest survey by United States-based transportation analytics firm Inrix, which ranked Jakarta the second-worst Asian city after Bangkok.
Traffic congestion was highlighted as the main problem during the Asian Games test event in February, forcing authorities to come up with innovative solutions.
“The Asian Games are only few months away. We still have one problem to overcome, congestion. The odd-even policy is a process so that Greater Jakarta residents will be ready to support traffic-management implemented during the Asian Games,” Bambang said.
The multi-sport Asian Games are set to be held from Aug. 18 until Sept. 2 in Jakarta and Palembang, South Sumatra. (iwa)
- Tourists cause human traffic jam at Mt. Fuji
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- Venezuelan general, colonel arrested over 'attack' on Maduro
- Prosecutors demand 1.5 years for Buddhist woman on ‘azan’ blasphemy charge
- Malaysia to alter 'hideous' tourism logo featuring ape in shades
- US believes missing journalist Tice still alive after six years
- Saudi state carrier hit by system failure ahead of haj
- Congresswoman-elect kidnapped in Mexico: Official
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Asian Games torch relay route in Jakarta