Odd-even license plate policy extended to Karawaci tollgates
The Jakarta Post
The Greater Jakarta Transportation Agency (BPTJ) has decided to apply the odd-even vehicle license plate policy at Karawaci 2 and Karawaci 4 tollgates starting on Monday from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.
“We will familiarize people with this policy and at the same time carry out a two-week trial run starting on Monday,” BPTJ head Bambang Prihartono said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com.
He said the decision was made after the agency conducted a survey and analysis on Tomang intersection, West Jakarta.
“During the survey and analysis we found that vehicle lines could be reduced from 4.1 kilometers to 2.7 km,” said Bambang.
The odd-even license plate policy in Karawaci tollgates is an expansion of a similar policy that has been implemented in Tangerang 2 and Kunciran 2 tollgates.
The capital has been listed among the world’s most congested cities, according to the latest survey by United States-based transportation analytics firm Inrix, which ranked Jakarta the second-worst Asian city after Bangkok.
Traffic congestion was highlighted as the main problem during the Asian Games test event in February, forcing authorities to come up with innovative solutions.
“The Asian Games are only few months away. We still have one problem to overcome, congestion. The odd-even policy is a process so that Greater Jakarta residents will be ready to support traffic-management implemented during the Asian Games,” Bambang said.
The multi-sport Asian Games are set to be held from Aug. 18 until Sept. 2 in Jakarta and Palembang, South Sumatra. (iwa)
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary
- Police shut down illegal gold mines in Riau
- Dutch, Australia say Russia behind downing MH17
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China