Police declare bomb threats at shopping malls hoax
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Police have urged the public to question the sources of reports they may come across following the Surabaya bombing incidents in East Java amid the circulation of fake news on various social media platforms and messaging apps.
Among messages circulating include a false report that the State Intelligence Agency (BIN) and Densus 88 antiterror squad had issued a list of shopping malls in Jakarta and Surabaya that were allegedly being targeted by terrorists.
Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono asserted that the information was false.
"We can say that the broadcast [message] about the list of shopping malls in Jakarta and Surabaya [being targets of bombings] is incorrect," he said on Monday as quoted by kompas.com.
Surabaya, Indonesia's second-largest city after Jakarta, has been hit by four suicide bombings in the past two days. At least 14 people have been confirmed dead.
Following the deadly incidents, Jakarta has been on high alert. Argo said there had been many false reports purportedly aimed at creating fear among residents. (fac)
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister to visit Indonesia
- In China's Catholic heartland, Vatican deal brings Communist Party closer
- Three expat teachers detained in Balikpapan for visa violations
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- The other side of Korea: Art, food and history
- Gay couple arrested in Bandung as anti-LGBT wave grips W. Java