Authorities to watch outdoor predawn meal events during Ramadhan
The Jakarta Post
South Jakarta authorities have decided that "sahur [predawn meal] on the road” events during the month of Ramadhan will be conducted under police watch to ensure public orderliness.
“[South Jakarta Police] will deploy its officers to safeguard the SOTR events. However, I suggest everyone have their sahur at home with their families,” said South Jakarta Police spokesman Comr. Purwanta on Tuesday as quoted by kompas.com.
“There’ll also be some patrol officers deployed at places where SOTR events usually held,” he added.
The police, Purwanta added, has also joined hands with the Indonesian Military (TNI) to conduct several operations during the fasting month. The measure is aimed at clearing the city from bootleg liquor.
Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno on Tuesday had also suggested people hold less SOTR events during Ramadhan this year.
“Please don’t hold SOTR events, moreover the ones that involve convoys using motorcycles. It’ll disturb other people,” he said.
He also urged people who wanted to help or donate meals for the less fortunate to deliver the food through mosques or institutions involved with charities.
Sandiaga also added: “No organization is allowed to raid entertainment centers. We should instead focus on improving ourselves [spiritually] throughout the Holy Month,” he said. (vla)
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary
- Police shut down illegal gold mines in Riau
- Dutch, Australia say Russia behind downing MH17
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China