E. Kalimantan Police destroy drugs, alcoholic drinks ahead of Ramadhan
The Jakarta Post
The East Kalimantan Police destroyed on Monday 6 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine and 540 ecstasy pills at the Dome Balikpapan sports and convention center parking lot.
The crystal meth alone was worth Rp 12 billion (US$ 857,308), according to East Kalimantan Police chief Insp. Gen. Priyo Widyanto.
The drugs had been seized as evidence in cases handled by the force’s Narcotics Directorate. They reportedly came from the northern areas of Sabah, Malaysia.
Police also destroyed 3,581 bottles containing a total of about 10,000 liters of traditional and factory-made alcoholic beverages, ranging from palm wine to bootleg liquor.
In total, the drinks were worth nearly Rp 600 million.
“These were all evidence from several cases [investigated] from April to May,” Priyo said on Monday, adding that the drugs and alcohol were destroyed as part of preparations for the fasting month.
He also expressed hopes that the province’s crime rate, especially cases involving alcohol and drugs, would decrease during Ramadhan.
“However, we will prevent such cases from re-occurring by performing raids on suspicious places,” he said. (dpk/ebf)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teen arrested for alleged rape of young earthquake survivor
- Indonesian religious minister denounces LGBT, but calls for people’s empathy
- Rupiah projected at Rp 15,000 per US dollar in 2019 state budget
- BTS renews contract with Big Hit Entertainment