MUI praises Anies' decision to move mass prayers from Monas to nearby mosque
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) praised on Tuesday the Jakarta administration’s decision to move mass tarawih (evening Ramadhan prayers) from the National Monument (Monas) to Istiqlal Mosque. Both are located in Central Jakarta.
“It is a really wise decision and should be highly appreciated,” said MUI deputy chairman Zainut Tauhid, adding that moving the religious event from Monas to the mosque ended controversy and potential disputes among religious followers.
“I do believe that the administration’s decision will get support from all Muslim organizations and all Muslims from across the city,” Zainut said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
The city administration bowed to pressure from Muslim organizations to move the event from Monas and decided on Monday to hold the event on May 26 at the nearby grand mosque, the country's largest in terms of capacity. Up to 30,000 people are expected to come to the event. (vny/wit)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines