MUI praises Anies' decision to move mass prayers from Monas to nearby mosque
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) praised on Tuesday the Jakarta administration’s decision to move mass tarawih (evening Ramadhan prayers) from the National Monument (Monas) to Istiqlal Mosque. Both are located in Central Jakarta.
“It is a really wise decision and should be highly appreciated,” said MUI deputy chairman Zainut Tauhid, adding that moving the religious event from Monas to the mosque ended controversy and potential disputes among religious followers.
“I do believe that the administration’s decision will get support from all Muslim organizations and all Muslims from across the city,” Zainut said as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
The city administration bowed to pressure from Muslim organizations to move the event from Monas and decided on Monday to hold the event on May 26 at the nearby grand mosque, the country's largest in terms of capacity. Up to 30,000 people are expected to come to the event. (vny/wit)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...
- Garuda Indonesia records best OTP in Asia Pacific