Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
weather-icon
30°C Drizzle

Light rain later this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon.

  • weather-icon

    Wed

    25℃ - 33℃

  • weather-icon

    Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Fri

    25℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Sat

    25℃ - 31℃

Personnel deployed to protect Batam airport against terror threats

  • Fadli
    Fadli

    The Jakarta Post

Batam, Riau Islands | Tue, May 22, 2018 | 02:02 pm
Personnel deployed to protect Batam airport against terror threats Airplanes are seen parked at Hang Nadim International Airport in Batam, Riau Islands. Authorities have stepped up security measures to anticipate possible terror attacks. (JP/Fadli)

Authorities at Hang Nadim International Airport in Batam, Riau Islands, have stepped up security measures involving Air Force personnel against any terror threats.

Armed Air Force personnel has appeared at several spots across Hang Nadim, from the airport’s entrance gate to the passenger waiting room.

The airport’s management increased its security level to Alert 1 on Saturday, a status that will remain in place Saturday until June 24.

Hang Nadim management director Suwarso said on Tuesday that the security alert status had been raised to Alert 1 following a string of suicide bomb attacks in Surabaya and Sidoarjo, both in East Java, as well as in Pekanbaru, Riau, last week.

“We are anticipating [possible terror attacks]. With the increased alert level, security inspections at the airport will be tighter,” said Suwarso.

He said the joint unit deployed to secure Hang Nadim International Airport comprised of 48 personnel, 20 of whom were from the Air Force, 18 from the National Police and 10 from the Aviation Security (Avsec) department.

“Alert 1 will end after Idul Fitri next month. The alert level increase is not related to Ramadhan and Idul Fitri but to the incidents in Surabaya,” said Suwarso.

Twenty-five people, including the suicide bombers and some of their children, were killed and dozens were injured in the bombings in Sidoarjo and Surabaya.  (ebf)

Join the discussions