Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
weather-icon
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • weather-icon

    Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • weather-icon

    Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

Police probe Jakarta officials on fatal Monas incident

  • News Desk
    News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta | Tue, May 22, 2018 | 07:39 pm
Police probe Jakarta officials on fatal Monas incident Trash was left scattered around the National Monument (Monas) in Central Jakarta after a chaotic charity event where food packages were distributed on April 28. (Via aceh.tribunnews.com/Instagram/@jktinfo)

The Jakarta Police have begun questioning officials from the Jakarta administration over a social event in the National Monument (Monas) compound last month where two boys died.

Monas management head Mundjirin was questioned on Tuesday as a witness and the police have scheduled to question Jakarta Tourism and Culture Agency head Tinia Budiati on Thursday, tempo.co reported.

"[Mundjirin] was questioned at around 11 a.m. today," the crimes and violence division head at the Jakarta Police General Crime Directorate, Adj. Sr. Comr. Jerry Siagian, said on Tuesday.

Jerry said investigators would question Mundjirin in relation to the permit issuance of the event, which was organized by Forum Untukmu Indonesia.

During the event, organizers distributed several vouchers, including some that could be exchanged for 1 kilogram of rice, three packages of instant noodles and 1 liter of cooking oil. 

The other vouchers could be exchanged for a meal package and bread.

The event turned chaotic after hundreds of thousands of people attended the event amid weak crowd control measures.

Mahesa Junaedi, 12, and Muhammad Rizki Syahputra, 10, are reported to have died after attending the event.

Rizki's mother Komariah filed a police report accusing event committee head Dave Revano Santosa of negligence that led to her son's death. While she has retracted the report, the police have continued the investigation.

Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said he had told his subordinates to be cooperative during the investigation. (fac/wit)

Join the discussions